The Cebu Trade School, now the Cebu School of Arts and Trade, began in 1911 as a Manual Arts Department of the Cebu Normal School and later of the Cebu Provincial High School. In 1911 it become a separate entity offering intermediate trade curriculum in wood working. There were five teachers composing the teachin g staff: two Americans and three Filipinos who taught in the fifth, sixth and seven grades. This group of Filipino and Americans teachers turned out its first batch of elementary graduates in 1912 equipped with the rudiments of vocational education.
During almost fifty years of existence, the Cebu School of Arts And Trade has occupied different places in the city. Way back in 1909, when it was yet a Manual Arts Department of the Cebu Normal School it was housed in “Mga Anak Sa Lungsod” a building located at the corner of D Jakosalem and Colon Streets. From there, it was moved to the grounds now occupied by the Abellana National Vocational School on Jones Avenue where a three-room building was built.
When Mr. Jose Sevilla was the principal of the school from 1918 to 1932, the present site of the school at Los Martires Street was acquired under Government Proclamation No.180 of August 29, 1928. Soon after the acquisition of the new school site, a building was constructed to house the administration offices and the various shops. Thirteen years after, in 1925, the intermediate classes were gradually dropped and in their place the secondary trade classes simultaneously organized. Besides, the regular wood working courses, building construction and iron working courses were added. The academic classes were held at Fort San Pedro, near the Cebu Post Office, now occupied by the Cebu City Zoo. But, later on a building which had been occupied by the Osmeña Waterwork system was made the Academic Building. Unfortunately, the building was burned down during the Second World War
After the liberation, the late superintendent Gregorio J. Sevilla reopened the school at the corner of Mango Avenue and General Echavez streets exactly on the present site of the Sacred Heart School on August 1, 1945. An old bodega or camann owned by Mr. Carlos Quisumbing was rented, for the school building at Los Martires Street was occupied by a part of the United States Liberation Army. However, when the soldiers vacated the place, the Cebu School of Arts and Trade moved in on January 1, 1947 and continued its operation on Los Martires Street to the present time. The academic classes during that time had to be held in the former shop rooms since the academic building was destroyed during the war.
Records of the educational qualifications of the teaching staff before 1945 are missing. However, although no complete records could be had before 1945, some of the teachers of the school before the war were: Mr. Francisco Zozobrado,a BSE graduate, Mrs. Sinforosa J. Mendoza, a BSE graduate, Mr.Germiano Mendoza, a BSE graduate, Mrs .Mude Nutter,an American teacher who taught English Subjects, Mrs.Krikindal, also an American teacher, Miss Eugenia Cabatingan, a BSE graduate and Mr. Pedro Pangilinan, a trade school graduate. Nine of the teachers are BSE graduates mostly coming from private universities or colleges. Eighteen teachers are graduates of the trade schools. Three finished the teacher’s course. Seven are Trade Technical graduates. Eight are secondary trade graduates.
Curriculum. In line with this change, the academic department of the trade school which for years had been under the supervision of the Cebu Provincial High School severed its connection with the appointment of Mr. Germiniano Mendoza as the first head of the academic department. The first commencement exercises was held in 1929 for the secondary classes. From this year on, the school continued its growth and expansion in its educational program until 1959 when it conferred for the first time a Bachelor’s Degree in the Teacher Education Department. In the line with the changes the school gradually increased its teaching staff. Table IV shows the educational qualifications of the teachers of the Cebu School of Arts and Trade as of 1951.
Eighteen teachers are BSE graduates. Sixteen of them are trade school graduates, four are graduates of Teacher Course, ten are graduates of the Trade Technical Curriculum and one is a graduate of the Special Trade Curriculum. One has finished the academic requirements for an M.A degree but was not able to write a thesis. Fourteen of the teachers are undergraduates. Twelve of them are pursuing education course. The rest are Mechanical Engineering student. Three of the teachers are holders of Engineering degree. Two of them are Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering graduates while one finished is Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering.
The Cebu State College Of Science and Technology started as one of the earliest vocational schools established in the country.
Founded in 1911 as a Manual Arts department of the Cebu Normal School, it was called the Cebu Trade School. Under Proclamation No. 180 of August 20, 1928, the school acquired its present at M.J. Cuenco Avenue, Cebu City. On June 9, 1938 by virtue of Commonwealth Act. No. 313, Cebu Trade School was change to Cebu School of Arts and Trades.
Being one of the leading vocational institution in the country, CSAT, has always done its best to preserve quality to help achieve national goals. It opened the Graduate School with the degree of M.Ed and MAVED in 1969, to develop leadership and stimulate research in vocation education. The MEC-CSAT Scholarship Program was lunch in 1976 and 1982 the Master of Public Administration Program commenced. Then in 1990, the MTE or Master in Technician Education was added ti the Graduate School Program.
In 1977 a big fire gutted down the academic and administration building and destroyed eighty per cent if its physical facilities. However, a new nine-million peso Academic and Administration Building was constructed in 1978.
On June 10, 1983, the most historic event happened to CSAT, Batas Pambansa Blg. Entitled “AN ACT CONVERTING THE CEBU SCHOOL OF ARTS AND TRADE INTO A CHARTERED COLEGE TO BE KNOWN AS THE CEBU STATE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY EXPANDING THE JURISDICTION AND CURRICULAR PROGRAMS”
The conversion of CSAT into a chartered college to be known as CSCST which include nine other vocational school in Cebu Province namely: CSCST-ACAT, Osmeña Blvd., Cebu City, CSCST-CIT, Danao City, CSCST-PC, Tuburan, Cebu, CSCST-CFT, Carmen, Cebu, CSCST-CF, daanbantayan, Cebu, CSCST-CF, Moalboal, Cebu, CSCST-FIC, San Francisco, Cebu, CSCST-CA, Sudlon, Lahug , Cebu City and CSCS-AIFC, Argao, Cebu commence in SY 1983-84.
Its charter has outlined the philosophy of providing higher technological, professional, vocational instruction in science and technology, agriculture, fishery, and industrial fields as well as short-term vocational-technological courses. It has promoted research, extension, advanced studies and progressive leadership in its areas of specialization.
Like other chartered institution of the country, the college system has encountered both fiscal and resource constraints which adversely affect the performance of its function. But despite financial constraints however, the College continue to fulfill the mission mandated by its objective, as it seeks to realize its objective which are in line with the development goals of the nation, especially with the new government thrust with is to be the NIC in the year 2000.
On July 27, 2009, Philippine Congress passed into law Republic Act No. 9744 which was subsequently signed by President Glorial Macapagal Arroyo on November
10, 2009. Republic Act No. 9744 converted Cebu State College of Science and Technology into a university and renamed it Cebu Technological University.